VMware Cloud Community
drkconan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Motherboard Question Raid

Good day!

Is there a motherboard that is raid ready for ESXi 4. I prefer INTEL desktop boards.

Regards,

drkconan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are much further ahead finding a server from the HCL. Dell, HP, IBM, etc often have real bargains on end of manufacturing runs, customer returns, or re certified servers. You can save money opting out of the 3 year onsite warranties and choose single processor versions. There are also off lease servers (check for local technology leasing firms). By the time you add all the pieces to a desktop board you don't end up too far from a real server.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Most onboard RAID controllers are software RAID controllers, not hardware (required by ESX/ESXi to have the drives show up as an actual array). IF the motherboard calls out that it's RAID controller is battery-backed for the cache, then chances are, it's a hardware RAID controller.

Chances are much better if you just ignore the onboard SAS/SATA controller and get a hardware RAID controller card that IS on the VMware HCL. Personally, I usually just get a pre-built system that contains the critical hardware (correct series Xeon processors, SAS drives to boot from, HCL listed RAID controller) and don't worry about things. Going with a whitebox solution (or build your own box) can be hit or miss... You might get everything correct first time through, but be prepared to need to replace out hardware components, or get different ones for the jobs, and spend unknown hours getting it to fly correctly. You have to decide how much is your time worth in all this. Then figure out how much you would really be saving by building a box over getting one that you KNOW will work right off the bat...

Another source of information posted about unblessed hardware us the Ultimate White Box site... Keep in mind, they tend to lag a bit between when someone has submitted a working configuration and when it's actually posted...

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While I don't have a specific model to recommend, I can tell you that all Intel "desktop" motherboards use ICH software RAID. (At least all the ones that I know of. Correct me if I'm wrong.) So Intel "desktop" motherboard's RAID is not compatible with ESX(i). The onboard controller may work for individual disks, but not RAID.

It is likely that the only onboard RAID that would work with ESX(i) is a "server" motherboard. But many server motherboards use software RAID so you have to shop carefully. Even many of the server systems on VMware's compatibility list do not have ESX(i) compatible on-board RAID, thus need a separate RAID card anyway. So realistically, you'll probably have to get an add-on hardware RAID controller. Prices start at around $300 for non-cache models, but likely you'll be spending in the $500+ range depending on the amount of cache. In general, to get reasonable performance, you want to enable write caching, which means you want battery backed cache on the RAID controller.

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are much further ahead finding a server from the HCL. Dell, HP, IBM, etc often have real bargains on end of manufacturing runs, customer returns, or re certified servers. You can save money opting out of the 3 year onsite warranties and choose single processor versions. There are also off lease servers (check for local technology leasing firms). By the time you add all the pieces to a desktop board you don't end up too far from a real server.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos