VMware Cloud Community
Kindred_VMSuppo
Contributor
Contributor

Monitoring VM CPU performance

We currently utilize HP OVO to monitor OS performance metrics on our physical servers as well as our VMs. It is becoming evident that this is not a truly accurate mechanism for VMs at least when it comes to CPU usage. I know there are numerous blogs discussing the inaccuracy of monitoring within the VM, but how are others using HP OVO to monitor at the virtualization layer?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I threw away all HP products for monitoring the guest operating systems and went with VKernel. Host monitoring has so many more benefits over guest monitoring that I don't even think they are on the same level.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
simonlam
Contributor
Contributor

To truly get a picture of your virtual infrastructure, you need to get metrics from the virtual platform and not from the VMs themselves. This said, there is merit to getting performance metrics from within the VM guest operating systems as well - for example, if a VM is taking up high CPU, why is it - load? malware? etc. As a VMware consultant, i recommend getting metrics from both within and outside the VM and making intelligent decisions. For example, see the discussion here -

http://www.eginnovations.com/web/vmware-technology.htm

Regards,

Simon L.

0 Kudos