VMware Cloud Community
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Monitoring Raid Controller of an ESXi 5.0.0 IBM x3650 M3

Normally, we use IBM x3650 M3 (Raid Controller: M5015) Servers in our virtual infrastructure.

We installed the OS ESX 4.1.0 (381591) on these servers.

To monitor the Raid Controllers of these servers, we installed on all ESX 4.1.0 Servers the following RaidManager Agent:

-     MSM_linux_installer-5.01-01.tar.gz
- MSMconfig.sh
We installed this package by starting a SSH-Connection to the according server and typing the following commands:

Chmod +x MSMconfig.sh

./ MSMconfig.sh

tar –vxf MSM_linux_installer-5.01-01.tar.gz

cd disk

./vmware_install.sh

//Accept the licence agreement with „y“

//Choose VMWare version (“2” for vSphere 4)

//Select the Storlib package that came with MSM (2)

Afterwards we was able to monitor this Raid Controller from an extern Windows-System. On this system we installed the MegaRaid Storage Manager (MSM) and add the IPs of the servers. Then we could connect to the Raid Controller by using this software.

-------

So right now, we migrate step by step some server from ESX 4.1.0 (381591) to the new ESXi 5.0.0 (623860).

For the new ESXi 5.0.0 Servers, we use a customized Image of IBM (VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0-patch1-474610-IBM-RTM-lic-20111213.iso)

Also we are able to the following under the Hardware Status:

- Storage: All disks and their state

- Software Components: - Controller (ServeRaid M5015 SAS/SATA Controller)

- LSI Provider (Version: 500.04.V0.24-261033)

But right now, we are not able to make the new ESXi 5.0 servers visible the Windows system with the MegaRaid Storage Manager - Application.

(I added the IP and tried to discover the server, but no change!)

As I think, it's not possible to install any software on a ESXi 5.0.0 and so I'm not able to install the above mentioned RaidManager Agent.

Additional, I tried to use the MegaCli Utility. It works fine but I'm not satisfied with the current situation.

(I copied the MegaCli Utility under /bin and also the libstorelib.so into /lib. But after rebooting the system, everytime the megacli utility is deleted out of /bin. I think this is a normal process, but it's no workaround for monitoring a raid controller of an x3650 M3 system.)

Does someone else have a solution about this problem?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I already tried it.

Also I made the step-by-step introdution of the following video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEBwt6Q_diU.

but it still doesn't work.

Also as I wrote before, I can see the two drivers in the hardware status - tab:

- Software Components: - Controller (ServeRaid M5015 SAS/SATA Controller)

- LSI Provider (Version: 500.04.V0.24-261033)

- scsi-megaraid-sas (Version: 5.34-1vmw.500.1.11.62860)

Weird, I'm the only one who has these problems?

Please give me some advices, thanks Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor

A little late on this but I was curious if you found a resolution to this? I have the exact same server and card that I will be upgrading soon. I saw that IBM has a customized VMware image as of June which I will use but since I never set up this server originally there never was a good method to monitor the raid. I have accessed the RSA/IMM port and surprisingly this tells me nothing unlike HP's ILO port, unless the newer firmware has this ability then I would like to figure a future plan so this server can checked and monitored better.

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, I didn't found any other solution.

You can configure the SNMP-service (with community name, etc) in the RSA-Card.

Then you will get a SNMP-Trap for any error / failure (including disks failures, controler errors).

After you knowing an error, you can use the MegaCli utility (see above) to identify the disk, renew the disk and start the rebuild process for the new disk.

0 Kudos
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor

Well that sucks. I was hoping with the later IBM custom ESX image would have those drivers needed to have more options in the vsphere client or at least allow you to use the MegaRaid Manager. In any case, once I am ready to upgrade this server, which will be soon, I will keep looking into this and let you know if I come up with a better option. Thanks.

Chris

0 Kudos
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Andy, do you have plans to upgrade to ESXi 5.1 on that x3650? I noticed it was released last month but I am still waiting to see if IBM comes out with their custom iso. Rumor has it, it will be released soon. Either way, I am curious if you upgrade or not.

Chris.

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

yes, we want to install some new x3650 m4 with ESX 5.1 in about 1-2 weeks.

My colleague will make the vCenter update this evening.

As you also know, there is no availability of a ESXi 5.1 Customized Image for IBM Servers rigth now.

We also called the IBM Hotline, asking for this image, but without any response.

Additional we created a IBM Ticket about this Image, but also without any response.

Yesterday we called the IBM Hotline again and they told us, that we will get a response in about 2-4 days.

But I think, there is no one available.

So we will have to use the normal ESXi 5.1 installation Image of Vmware.

Just for your information: ESXi 5.1 doesn't support IBM x3650 M1. It only supports M2, M3 and M4 (www.vmware.com/go/hcl)

If you have any news, please inform me!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor

I will for sure. I have a M3 so 5.1 should be fine although I have read some odd posts here and there about some people getting a PSOD on 5.1, so I would be curious to see how your install goes. I ran an upgrade to 5.1 on a older HP server and got the PSOD due to a bios setting on the CPU. Easy fix and the install went fine but I may also wait until the IBM comes out with their custom ISO but who knows when that will be available. So Im on the fence whether to go ahead with it. Obviously, I would like to have a better way of checking the RAID per you original concern on this thread just as I had a similar concern on the HP server I upgraded. However, when installing thier custom iso, I was now able to see the health status of the RAID in the config tab on vsphere so that was a plus to the prior version of ESX that was on there.

0 Kudos
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Andy...just a heads up. 5.1 for IBM is now available for download. Grabbing it now so I can install it soon.

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

Thanks for this great information.

But as we tried to update our vCenter Server some days ago, we got a lot of errors.

Also it was not possible to update the server, caused by an expired certificate of the vCenter Server.

(This is only one error of many)

Finally, we had no other chance than restore the whole vCenter server including the database.

After restoring the vCenter Server to the old version 5.0, we had some further problems regarding performance Charts and displaying some details of the ESX-Hosts. Therefore we created a ticket and the german Vmware supported helped us to run the system.

Also he told us: Please do not update the vCenter to 5.1, it's very buggy and please wait for the first update of it.

(We got a lot of error messages during the update process and for every step we had to search for KB-articles. This was very unsatisfied for us.

My hint: don't update to 5.1 at the moment).

So, right now, we are still waiting for the next update for 5.1, and furthermore, we are installing the new servers with vSphere 5.0.

BTW: Did you get a newsletter regarding this IBM Image or you was randomly surfing on the IBM site?

0 Kudos
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor

I just happened to see it while checking the page. As far as the update goes, I will take your advice and not update to 5.1 yet. Should I just go with 5.0 U1 instead? Also did you have to restore your VMs as a result of those errors or do you not use local storage? In my case I have several VMs on the server itself but plan on saving them first before the upgrade. Regardless I have to upgrade because its running 4.0 before I came in and it really needs updating.

Oh..I think I was a bit confused there after your post. Im currently not running vcenter server, just the hosts ESX boxes and vsphere. Would it still be fine to run to update 5.1 on the host box or do you think I should wait?

0 Kudos