VMware Cloud Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Monitoring ESX with HP Insight Manager

This may be more of an HP question than a VMware question, but I figure I'll give it a shot. Is anyone using Insight Manager to monitor their ESX servers? I'm trying to set it up to send email alerts to me when any event happens, but I can't find any options for this. I've read that you go to "go to options - events - automatic event handling - new task", but I don't even see Options. I've attached a picture of what it looks like when I log into Insight Manager.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Scott,

what you are looking at (in your attached screenshot) is the "Management Home Page" on the ESX host. The HP System Insight Manager (SIM) is an application/service running on a Windows server. HP SIM is the instance which monitors HP systems and sends the notifications. What you installed on the ESX host is just the "agent component" for HP SIM.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Scott,

what you are looking at (in your attached screenshot) is the "Management Home Page" on the ESX host. The HP System Insight Manager (SIM) is an application/service running on a Windows server. HP SIM is the instance which monitors HP systems and sends the notifications. What you installed on the ESX host is just the "agent component" for HP SIM.

André

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre. Can I set up email alerts from this? If not, is the HP SIM free or do you have to pay for it?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Check out http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim

If HP did not change licensing, it's still free. You will need to register your copy though.

And yes, you can setup notifications with HP SIM.

André

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Andre, do I have to set up SIM or can I set up email alerts from the Management Homepage? Thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm afraid you will have to install HP SIM to setup e-mail notifications.

André

scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Andre,

I've installed HP SIM and set up the Automatic Event Handling task to send me an email when there are failed logins. When I look at the task it says 'Last Run: Never', but I see no options to 'run now' or set a schedule. I tried to log in unsuccessfully but never received an email. Do you know how I can get this to run?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
billbradley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The ESX web services API provides a lot of detail on the hardware and hardware status. So you dont really need HP SIM if you

need hardware monitoring for ESX. You can use the VI client or any VMware-specific monitoring tool like the eG VMware Monitor

- http://www.eginnovations.com/web/vmware.htm

0 Kudos