VMware Cloud Community
RobotechXB9R
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Modifying path information for ESXi/ESX hosts

Good morning all! I hope you guys can help me.

I have about 47 hosts that I am needing to change there storage path information to Round Robin. If I make the change in vCenter and reboot the host it changes back to Fixed. So, I figured that I should change it at the host level through esxicli.

I have about twice as many LUNs from the Hitachi SAN. I would like to see if it is possible to make the change across the board somehow, or would I need to make the change host by host? Also, is there anything I would have to change on SAN side to make this work, or not.

I've seen this VMware KB: Modifying path information for ESXi/ESX hosts and am assuming this is the best plan? But didn't know of any caveats if any, anyone has run into while doing this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will need to make the change host by host, and the KB you find is the correct method.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will need to make the change host by host, and the KB you find is the correct method.

0 Kudos
RobotechXB9R
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that. Always good to have a little reassurance.

0 Kudos
RobotechXB9R
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One last thing for me to understand. This process from VMware, I will need to set the path selection policy on each host to RR for every LUN presented to that host?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Its possible to set a default on a per-array basis, but yes, it will need to be done per host.

0 Kudos
RobotechXB9R
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok great! The instructions I referenced in my first post have me changing the policy host by host, LUN by LUN correct? Is there a article that will help me in changing the pathing policy for all the LUNs attached to each host?

0 Kudos