VMware Cloud Community
Marc92
Contributor
Contributor

Mixing iSCSI SAN and DAS storage

I have 2 ESXI 5 hosts (Dell R610 with 2x Xeon E5645 and no internal drives (ESX is on flash drives)) connected to an MD3200 SAN.  We have another server (HP DL180 with 2x Xeon E5520)) not being utilized and I would like to add it as the 3rd host.  This 3rd server has 6 300GB SAS drives and 3 2TB near-line SAS drives.

Are there any problems with adding this 3rd machine and utilizing those drives?  Will the other 2 hosts be able to access the drives on this 3rd host?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Welcome to the community.

You can add the 3rd host(my understanding you want to add the HP host to vcenter).you can use the internal HDD of the HP host for its purpose only(cant be shared across the other host).

Common shared storage is required to utlize the below purpose.

VMOTION

SVMOTION

HA

Since the HP host has only internal HDD the VM that are going reside in HP server can do VMotion(use DRS automated feature) nor HA feature VMs that going to be in the internal HDD of HP server, wont be able to see by DELL HOST.

But still the advantage of adding to vcenter is, we can configure and manage all 3 server from one console. provision VM from one template etc.

Hope this clarifies.

Award points for the helpful and correct answer by clicking the below tab Smiley Happy

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0