VMware Cloud Community
oboroky
Contributor
Contributor

Missing vm files except for vmdk

I came into work this morning and checked the vms (3 Windows Servers and 3 NAS). All were running fine. I browsed the datastore only to find the vmdk files and nothing else. I have no idea what happened but everything was running fine. Of course, after I stopped the vms they could not start again. I rebooted the host but no vms were listed in the vm list. Only, unrecognized. I was able to go to the backup host and get everything going but then I had to restore the vms to the primary host that was running.

Can someone give me an idea to what happened to the vm files on all of the vms. I can't find any help in the logs.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Only you have access to this server? This seems the behavior of a file deletion on the browse datastore.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
oboroky
Contributor
Contributor

I'm the only one with access but I'm sure I didn't do it. I just thought someone else may have ran into some kind of fluke. I don't know how you could delete that many files without some sort of warning. As long as it's not a fluke in the host I guess I'll just live with the mystery.

Thanks

0 Kudos