VMware Cloud Community
lucmorin
Contributor
Contributor

Missing tools.conf file

Hi all,

Our setup:

vSphere Advanced 4.1, 258902

ESXi 4.1, 260247 (2 physical servers grouped in a cluster)

Windows 2003R2 and Windows 2008R2 guest OSes (3 VMs)

I installed/uninstalled VMWare Tools on my guests many times, but I still don't have a tools.conf file anywhere of my guests' filesystems.

I made sure to search with elevated priviledges, but the file just isn't there.

So, a few questions:

1) Should it be there ?

2) If so, why would it not install ?

3) If not absolutely needed, can I create an empty one and add the content as described in this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100787...

This KB article is the real reason why I'm searching for the tools.conf file all over the place.

4) When I look at the version number of installed VMtools, I get Version 8.3.2, build-257589. I was under the impression that the build number should match the ESXi build number. Am I wrong ?

Thank you for any pointers.

Regards

Luc

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Paul_Brannon
Contributor
Contributor

I found tools.conf on my windows server 2008 r2 at C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Tools\

The file was empty, so I added the logging parameters as you are trying to do to get some debug output from DebugView.

No luck. DebugView doesn't show any additional data beyond what it shows when I leave tools.conf blank.

I'm trying to run DebugView in order to see if I have the ddb.uuid problem preventing my VMware snapshot provider from completing on our domain controller and virtual center.

0 Kudos
Paul_Brannon
Contributor
Contributor

By adding a few lines to the tools.conf file and restarting VMware tools, the tools.conf became more fully populated.

To the empty tools.conf, I added:

log=true

log.file=C:\temp\vmtools.log

After restarting VMware Tools, I (magically) had entries for vmsvc, vmusr, log, vmbackup and vss. After some edits to bump up my logging, I ended up with this:

\[logging\]

vmsvc.handler=file

vmsvc.level=warning

vmsvc.data=C:
temp
vmtools.log

vmusr.handler=file

vmusr.level=debug

vmusr.data=C:
temp
vmtools.log.user.$(PID)

log.file=C:
temp
vmtools.log

log=true

vmbackup.level = debug

\[vmbackup\]

vss.log=true

Running DebugView as Administrator and selection Capture win32, global win32, and events got me the detailed logging of VMware tools I was looking for.

0 Kudos