VMware Cloud Community
Dantech_IT
Contributor
Contributor

Missing datastores after exi6 patch update

Dear all,

Machine - HP DL360 Gen9 with enterprise SD card, ESXi6 installed here.

Image - HP VMware ESXI6 base image

Update - ESXi600-201505001.zip

We have just applied the latest ESXi6 patch to fix the critical issue with the command

esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vibs/.ESXi600-201505001.zip

The update showed as successful on the command line and just required a reboot.

Following the reboot the 2 VMs are visible but appear as /vmfs/volumes/<longname>.vmx

If we click on these VMs, an error is generated in the vsphere client "An internal error occurred in the vsphere client, objdct reference not set to an instance of an object".

Clicking on "add datastore" showed no disk resources available.

The version of the hosts in the vsphere client is 2715440.

Running the command esxcli software vib list  shows HP drivers present.

Any help is appreciated as the system is currently unusable and this has just been built so we don't want to start again, but since no datastores are visible, I am not sure how we would do this.

Thanks

Dan

19 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

The patch you applied is related to the CBT fix of vsan. So can you please check after patch the host you have enabled CBT .

Did you have vsan cluster and did you applied this all the host in the vsan cluster.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Dantech_IT
Contributor
Contributor

HI CoolRam,

Thanks for your response, but now more confused than when I started 🙂

The fix I applied I downloaded from MyVMWare   and is related to KB2116127 - that is what was offered under MyPatches.

We are not running any VSANs, just ESXi on SD card and local disks.   I only updated the host, not guests.

So, is this correct at all with this patch?    Can I un-install it and if so will this get me my VMs online?  What should I should be installing if anything?

Thanks

Dan.

0 Kudos
florindespa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Can you please paste the output of :

esxcli storage core device list

esxcli storage filesystem list

Or if you are sure it is patch related, you could just revert to previous version of ESXi : VMware KB: Reverting to a previous version of ESXi

Just let us know how it went.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

Ya that patch is related to CBT issue. sorry that is not related to vSAN. you check your CBT module is enabled or disabled.

If its enable then the patch will fix all the  problem.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Dantech_IT
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I find if we are using the CBT module? If we are not using the module then is there any need to apply the patch?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I unfortunately don't have the hardware to test this. Anyway, what you may consider at this point, is to revert to the previous state by pressing Shift-R at boot time and selecting the previous profile.

What I usually do prior to applying a patch from the command line is to check which vibs will be replaced (especially with OEM installations). You can easily do this by appending --dry-run to the esxcli ... command line.

André

0 Kudos
vl7
Contributor
Contributor

Hi i have the same problem after installing the patch update via command line datastore is missing seems that he uninstall custom hp driver. I used the update command this should prevent this but didnt help. Anyone a new idea?

0 Kudos
OssiDLBG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

same machine - same problem!!

any idea?

ossi

0 Kudos
vl7
Contributor
Contributor

i fixed it on my machine

after patching you will see that the hp controller driver is uninstalled and a vmware controller driver installed...thats the problem because no datastore is existing. The controller is not able to see the disks with vmware driver.

first patch as usual: esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/ESXi600-201505001.zip  PS: you have to edit the commands for your datastore names / folder

after that download controller patch from vibsdepot hp Index of /hpq/latest/esxi-600-devicedrivers [   ]i download this one hpsa-5.5.0.84-2338296.zip  24-Mar-2015 15:47 1.7M  upload it to your esxi datastore

then run command: esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/hpsa-5.5.0.84-2338296.zip PS: you have to edit the commands for your datastore names / folder

you will see that the vmware controller driver will be uninstalled and the hp controller driver installed.

now reboot and all is working fine again.

hyvokar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

I run in to a same problem.

http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/latest/esxi-600-devicedrivers/hpsa-5.5.0.84-2338296.ziphpsa-5.5.0.84-2338296.zip is removed from the HP website, but following Index of /hpq/latest/esxi-600-devicedrivers I found http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/latest/esxi-600-devicedrivers/hpsa-5.5.0.106-2734178.zip

However, this does not install, I'm getting an error that index.xml is missing.

0 Kudos
vl7
Contributor
Contributor

seems that you have problems with the command are your sure that you wrote your correct vmfs datastore location?

esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/mydatastorename/myfoldername/hpsa-5.5.0.84-2338296.zip

0 Kudos
hyvokar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

I had already rebooted after the update, so I had not datastores left.

I uploaded the patch to /tmp and tried to install it from there.

Sooo.. I had to reinstall whole esxi. Didnt update after that :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
hyvokar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Took a second shot on this one.

http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/latest/esxi-600-devicedrivers/hpsa-5.5.0.106-2734178.zip

There is a zip called "hpsa-5.5.0.106-offline_bundle-2734178.zip" inside the zip file above. Extract it and upload it to your box, and use that zip to reinstall the HP driver.

0 Kudos
vl7
Contributor
Contributor

hi it´s only a driver problem so the reinstall was not necessary after reboot there are no disks but when you patch the right controller driver you will see your disks and datastore again.

0 Kudos
DavideC86
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, you must extract the .zip and upload only the .zip that's inside (hpsa-5.5.0.106-offline_bundle-2734178.zip, around 67k).

It worked for me installing first vmware patch, then this patch. I rebooted and I was able to see the datastore and the patch was applied.

0 Kudos
eddyccl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Applying patch ESXi600-201507001.zip caused the same issue. Apply hpsa-5.5.0.106-offline_bundle-2734178.zip to fix the issue immediately without reboot required but after reboot the esx-base seems go back to old pre-patched version. Kind of weird, anyone faced the same issue? The build number was 2809209 after the ESXi600-201507001.zip is patched, then applying the hpsa fix and reboot will revert it back to build 2494585 (pre-patched).

The command used to patched was:
esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ESXi600-201507001.zip

Then followed by:

esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/hpsa-5.5.0.106-offline_bundle-2734178.zip

And the message returned was no vib installed but hpsa is skipped. Then immediately the local datastore is visible.

Thank you

0 Kudos
eddyccl
Contributor
Contributor

Quick updates:

For those who using HP Customized ESXi installer VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-HP-600.9.3.30.2-Jun2015.iso like me, if you are facing the same issue like me eg. patching caused missing local datastore, try this way:

Patch ESXi using profile command instead of vib command. (Using esxcli software vib update patched the system and then install the hpsa driver will revert my build back to pre-patched somehow)

Patched applied: ESXi600-201507001.zip

Command: esxcli software profile update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ESXi600-201507001.zip -p ESXi-6.0.0-20150704001-standard

(to view available profiles in the patch, run "esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ESXi600-201507001.zip")

01.png

Then you will find that hpsa driver is removed and replaced, now install the hpsa driver which has been extracted previously to install it and then reboot.
Command: esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/hpsa-5.5.0.106-offline_bundle-2734178.zip

02.png

After reboot the local datastore will remain visible and the build number is now 2809209 . (latest to date)

Hope this would helps someone facing similar issue.

0 Kudos
impranayk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Refer to below link, may help.

VMware KB: VMware ESXi 6.0 host fails to detect local disk after patching or applying Update 1 on HP...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me @ www.vmwareinsight.com
Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful

Pranay Jha | Blog: http://vmwareinsight.com
vExpert 2016/2017, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCE-CIA, MCSE, MCITP
0 Kudos
santimac88
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is that I do not see any data stores, I see volumes as following:

[root@VH1:/dev] cd ..

[root@VH1:/vmfs] ls

devices  volumes

[root@VH1:/vmfs] cd volumes

[root@VH1:/vmfs/volumes] ls

55b14de3-123b7330-3591-3ca82a1e5218  99a8e8eb-4247b076-ba72-258499db8c4a

85b901ee-84533d3c-6c21-170be0849eae

[root@VH1:/vmfs/volumes]

Do you recommend me to revert the version?

0 Kudos