VMware Cloud Community
The_vMaster
Contributor
Contributor

Missing VMX file

Long story short, I tried migrating a virtual machine from one datastore to another, and the datastore wound up running out of disk space before the move completed.

The files reverted back to the way they were, however the folder from my virtual machine that I tried to move is now missing the VMX file so I cannot boot.

Also, the VMDK file that was in the folder I tried moving is now labeled at VirtualMachine - Flat.vmdk.

What I am going to try to do, is create a brand new virtual machine, with identical hardware configuration as my old virtual machine, down to hard drive size.

Instead of creating new virtual disks, I am going to use an existing virtual disk, and point them to the exact same disks as they were using in the old virtual machine.

My question is, have any of you ever done this, or is there anything I should look out for or worry about, or is there perhaps an easier way for me to do this?

Also, since it is a flat.vmdk file, I see that I have to create a new vmdk file and match that descriptor file to it.

When I try to run vmkfstools, I am told that the command is not found. It is a 4.0 box, so is vmkfstools an available command, or would there be something else that I should use?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

if there's only a single .vmdk file (i.e. no snapshots) you shouldn't have any issues with recreating the descriptor .vmdk file and using the virtual disk with a new VM. The vmkfstools command should work with 4.0!? Anyway, if there's an issue with the command you could instead simply create a new VM with a virtual disk of the same size as the old one and copy/use/modify its descriptor file.

André

0 Kudos