VMware Cloud Community
muthuvairavantu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Missing ESXi license keys

Hi All, We bought a license key for 45 CPU's. We installed 4 ESXi 5.1 hosts with 2 CPU's and licensed. Now we had 37 licenses left. Later we had an issue in the hardware and we reinstalled the ESXi 5.1. Now for a surprise we can see only 37 available instead of actual 45. After applying the licenses again, now we have only 29 CPU licenses available.

Can someone please assist me is getting the licenses back.

Cheers,

Muthu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
muthuvairavantu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi a.p,

Thanks for the link. I was able to see some details in the ADAM database. Can you guide me as how can I edit the ADAM database. Since I dont have SQL Management Studio installed in my vCenter server. Is there any article for me to do the same?

Cheers,

Muthu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

where are you seeing this?

As an example, we bought 20 licenses and I split these licenses into 10 two CPU licenses in our VMware online portal. So I have 10 license keys in total.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
muthuvairavantu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi JinKnopf99,

I'm see this in my VI client. We have a single license key of 45 CPU's and I map the license key for all the 4 hosts in my environment.

Cheers,

Muthu.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

take  look at VMware KB: vCenter Server incorrectly displays the amount of licenses in use by ESX hosts to see whether this applies to your issue. Please be very careful with editing the ADAM database!

André

JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

you could easily split those licenses into keys with lower CPU numbers in your online licensing platform

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/home

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
muthuvairavantu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi a.p,

Thanks for the link. I was able to see some details in the ADAM database. Can you guide me as how can I edit the ADAM database. Since I dont have SQL Management Studio installed in my vCenter server. Is there any article for me to do the same?

Cheers,

Muthu

0 Kudos
muthuvairavantu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was not able to open it in a SQL management studio. But managed to delete the unused licensed using the ID which was not in line with the other actual ID's.

0 Kudos