VMware Cloud Community
OmKar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mismatch in Memory Usage

I wonder if someone has encountered a similar issue:

I allocated 2G of ram to a VM (Windows 2003 Server)

Inside of the VM (OS level):

Physical Memory: 2096540

Available: 140400

System Cache: 1616000

Commit Charge: 690/3944

In the Vcenter :

Comsumed Host Memory: 2115 MB

Active Guest Memory: 1986 MB

So at the OS level the memory usage is around 690 MB , but the Vcenter is reporting a usage of around 1986 MB

What amI missing ?

Regards,

M.A.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The memory is ALL there. That's what you are missing. Windows is TAKING the memory it's just allocated for CACHE, and will be released to programs as more programs are running.

Plus if you watch it IMMEDIATELY following boot, these numbers are WAY inflated. You have to let Windows run for a while these numbers will subside from the ESX host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The memory is ALL there. That's what you are missing. Windows is TAKING the memory it's just allocated for CACHE, and will be released to programs as more programs are running.

Plus if you watch it IMMEDIATELY following boot, these numbers are WAY inflated. You have to let Windows run for a while these numbers will subside from the ESX host.

0 Kudos
OmKar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your prompt reply!

So there is nothing to worry about ....? (besides of Vcenter having this VM in an Red Alert Status ....)

M.A.

0 Kudos
MicahelMenne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This seems to be a problem primarily with Nehalem processors. There are reports of other processors experiencing the issue as well, but I haven't personally experienced that.

I just implemented 3 Nehalem hosts to replaced my Dell 2950 Xeon 5400 hosts running ESX 3.5 I'm seing the exact issues you are seeing on all versions of Windows. The problem extends beyond just Windows grabbing memory.. The probelm seems to extend to Transparent Page Sharing as well. VMware is stating that this should be fixed in Update 1 (rumored to be due out sometime mid-late September). If you have active support, I would recommend opening a support case and holding it open until the problem is fixed. The only way for VMware to realize that this is a huge problem is for more customers to open support cases.

Check out this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/211585?tstart=60

There are some suggestions there.

Michael

OmKar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that link!

It clear things up. I will try to pressure VMWare with a support request ...

M.A.

0 Kudos