VMware Cloud Community
kkyria19
Contributor
Contributor

Migration from old ESXi host to new

I have 20 VMs to my old ESXi host. Is there any way to copy the VMs to my new one except by downloading and uploading each VM separately (big waste of time)? Is there any way to move multiple VMs at once?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

I'm assuming these are hosts without shared storage (ie. local to local migration requirement)?

If you can get the guest downtime and the servers are in close proximity, you could directly connect the hosts together using an ethernet cable and spare NIC port. Configure a vmotion vmkernel port (backed by the NICS that are directly connected) using a basic address (eg. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2) on both hosts and do a cold (ie. powered off VM's) migration between hosts.

See limitations

Requirements and Limitations for vMotion Without Shared Storage (vmware.com)

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hopefully a moderator will move your thread now that I've reported it, there is an area dedicated to ESXi, rather than your thread sitting in some random generic area like it does at the moment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos