VMware Cloud Community
vmware_jedi1
Contributor
Contributor

Migration from AMD to Intel CPU Domain Controller

CURRENT ENVIRONMENT:

Multiple ESXi servers running version ESXi 5.0 Update 3 with AMD Processors.

Replacement ESXi servers running Intel based processors.

Windows 2008 domain, have multiple VM's running Exchange, DC, etc

PROBLEM:

I have 6 ESXi servers that were formerly all AMD processors. I am looking to swap out all six ESXi servers with servers that are running Intel Processors versus our current AMD processors. With regards to Windows OS, and Virtualized Domain Controllers, Exchange, etc, is there anything that I should be wary of or will this work without any problems?

DC's are Windows 2008 Standard SP1, NON-R2, 32 bit.

I do have some older Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 servers running in my domain.

I also have some Linux, FreeDOS, etc servers running in my environment.

Please let me know if there is anything that I should look out for? and possible suggestions to overcome. Basically just want to know if this is pretty safe.

I have disabled DRS and have powered off a few Windows VM's and set the option to hide the NX flag and vMotion appears to let me move them over without any problems.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

You should (you're required to) do a cold migration of the VM's. By doing that, I don't see al that much issue in this.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That is the correct method to move the VMs between hosts that have different CPU manufacturer - cold migrate (moving the VM powered off) will move the VM to the new host. Being windows when its is powered up it will query the cpu for the manufacturer and will load the approriate instruction set.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos