VMware Cloud Community
gregarican
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating vSphere/vCenter to a new server?

To summarize as briefly as possible:

1) I have an old Dell with vSphere/vCenter (v6) that's backed up via a Veeam Backup & Restore 9.5 VM.
2) I am buying a new Dell that will have its own vSphere/vCenter (v6.7) installation on it.
3) I have been advised that the easiest way to migrate the guest VM's from the old Dell to the new Dell is via a VBR restore operation.
4) I figure that the vCenter Server Appliance VM won't have to move over, since the new Dell will have its own VM on it running as an independent instance.
5) I assume that I just restore all VM's over to the new Dell, except for my VBR VM and the VCSA VM.
6) I will use VMware's Standalone Converter to migrate the VBR VM, shutting down the VM on the old Dell before moving it over to the new Dell.

Is this workflow correct to the best of y'all's knowledge?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

why do you not install vsphere & vcenter 7.01c?

you can install the new server with the two products, then migrate the virtual machines.

you can integrate the old server in the new vcenter and then you had no problem with/without motion.

Without motion you must down the virtual server, then migrate.

This was my method to migrate from ibm x3650m3 to new hp dl380Gen10 and had no troubles!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gregarican
Contributor
Contributor

I have existing VMware vSphere/vCenter v6 licensing, so I would like to avoid having to purchase separate v7 licensing. As for the suggested migration path, I've heard that the migration path you've outlined can be slow. For example, requiring a powered off VM and throughput capped at 10 Mbps. 

That's why I've also heard that just running Veeam restores of the VM's would be quicker and cleaner. Is this the case?

0 Kudos