VMware Cloud Community
seanscott83
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating to VMWare ESXi using VMware vCenter Converter

I currently have a whitebox Linux server that is very underutilized and I am planning on installing VMware ESXi 4.0 on it. I downloaded the VMware Vcenter Converter and installed it locally on my workstation. What I would like to do is covert my Linux server into a virtual host and store it on my workstation so I can setup ESXi on that hardware. Then, once ESXi is setup import the linux server VM.

Would this be possible? If not would it be possible for me to install ESXi on another machine, convert the Linux OS and keep it there, then install ESXi on my actual server and transfer the VM?

Thanks,

-Sean

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KEPete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've actually done something similar for my Ubuntu server box and it worked fine. I did not use the vCenter Converter but the previous version to convert the Physical box to VMWare Workstation compatible VM, then after setting up the ESXi box, convert it back to the newly setup host. The only modification I had to do was reconfigure the NIC through console as it adds a new adapter after conversion.

0 Kudos
seanscott83
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks KEPete, do you what the software was called and if it's still available for download?

-Sean

0 Kudos
KEPete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It was just called the VMWare Converter. It was the free download before they updated to the vCenter Converter standalone so they don't have it up here anymore. I haven't used the new one but it should do the same thing for what you want. What you're doing is pretty standard for the people in these forums that want to do P2V without Virtual Center and using home labs so I don't think you'll have much of a problem. I'm definitely not a Linux or a VMWare expert and I got through it ok. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
seanscott83
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I'll have to do some research, because when trying to use the vCenter converter, it can connect to my Ubuntu server but want me to point it to a running VMware server and doesn't let me point it to a file.

0 Kudos
KEPete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does it give you an option to convert to VMWare Workstation format in the drop down? Strange, I looked at the converter release notes and it does state that it supports VMWare workstation as a destination target. Check out the below links for info. The second link has the docs.

EDIT - I just downloaded and installed the converter standalone and ran through the menus and it does give you the workstation option in the drop down for destination. After you select Workstation, it gives you a local path to browse. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
seanscott83
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos