VMware Cloud Community
steveanderson3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating to ESX 4, vmotion of former 3.5 guests?

We are slowly making the move to ESX 4. We have vcenter 4.0 installed, managing our esx 3.5 hosts. We've added two ESX 4 hosts and are beginning some testing. I've found that vmotion works just fine for machines created from our original templates, to the esx 4 hosts. However, when I bring an existing vm from a 3.5 host, upgrade the tools and vm hardware, I cannot vmotion between the two ESX 4 hosts. I've hidden and exposed the NX/XD flag, to no avail.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I've attached the cpu error message

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
6 Replies
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

it is not always true that VMotion will work always if you hidden the NX/XD flag. BTW from which host to which one you are migrating is it compatiblw with VMotion ?

it has to migrate 3.5 VM's to 4.0 if your CPU's are compatible.

0 Kudos
steveanderson3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've moved a vm from a 3.5 cluster to the new 4.0 cluster. Upgraded tools, and vm hardware to version 7. Now, I'm unable to vmotion between the hosts in the 4.0 cluster. I know that I cannot go back to 3.5 now that the vm hardware version has been upgraded, but I'm unable to vmotion now even between my identical 4.0 host servers.

A new vm created in the 4.0 cluster can vmotion all day long, so I know that everything else about the cluster and the 4.0 hosts is set up properly. This appears to be a specific issue of vm's living in 3.5, being upgraded and moved to 4.0

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 does not support version 7 VMs,

You will need to keep them as version 4 hardware or they will not migrate back.

http://www.vladan.fr/esx-4-and-vms-with-hardware-version-7/

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
toha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

are you able to change your VM version back to 4 in that case you should be able to migrate it.

0 Kudos
steveanderson3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the article toha, and thank you for actually reading my question Smiley Happy

I reset the cpu advanced features and all is working now.

0 Kudos