VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Migrating offline 64 bit VM into different ESXi 4 host (Xeon – P4) error?

Hi All,

I’m having problem in migrating offline VM from my ESXi 4.0 which is run on my Dell Server with Xeon 54xx series into Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duo Desktop running ESXi 4.0 u1 the error message is like the attached screenshot.

This is very strange as I was able to create new 64 bit VM from scratch in those “desktop” ESXi but when I migrate offline VM of the same OS it failed ?

For 32 bit VM this is not the problem, can anyone explains what may cause this problem ?

Note: I’ve enabled EM64T in the BIOS on certain Pentium D processor and Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU but it is still failed.

Thanks

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert

Have you tried to enable EVC on your Cluster?

I dont recall recieving the x64 error if i was able to run/build x64 guests prior to a migration task - vmotion...

-

| VCP[3] | VCP[4]

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi There,

The Offline x64 Windows VM is from the Dell 2950-III series (host-host since I've got no clustering service) which has got Intel Xeon 5 4xx series processor and I'd like to migrate our webserver and Terminal Service Gateway (WS2008) due to the hardware failure but it failed, I tried to move it into the following CPU:

Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz (I tried to create and host 64 bit VM and it works from scratch).

Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz

all is failed with the same error message 😐

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

sadly, eventhough I've restored the VM using Veeam and go to the CPUID mask for the VM Advanced Options and change the 0×800000001 register edx to

–1- —- —- —- —- —- —- —-

By default it’s set to:

—- —- —1 —- —- —- —- —-

it is still failed when the VM is turned ON, see the attached picture

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos