VMware Cloud Community
scottm_occ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrating from plain SLES to SLES for VMware

Wondering if anyone has completed the migration without reinstalling it, manually or taken the time to complete a script.

Novell has put together a script to migrate in the reverse order....

Support | Migrating a SLES-11-SP1-for-VMware system to SLES-11-SP1

Would be nice if VMware did the same ...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottm_occ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We scripted this, so if anyone is looking for it message me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They do it is called VMware vCenter Converter Standalone

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
scottm_occ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If I wanted to P2V or V2V outside of vcenter that would be great. That wasn't the question though.

I'm talking about existing SLES servers that are licensed through Novell, migrating them to licensing for SLES for VMWare without reinstalling hundreds of OS's.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no special VMware licensing for any operating system - the same operating system that gets in stalled in the physical is what gets installed into a virtual machine - This is true of WIndows and the many Linux versions supported by VMware -

The link you provide references a script that will remove the VMware drivers that are installed with VMware Tools or replacing the components of the SLES with the TAR - I am also surprised they did not mention PlateSpin Migrate (a former Novell Product) that does the very same thing in a V2P fashion -

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone does the reverse of what the link you provide offers - it takes the installed SLES OS and in a P2V or V2V fashion converts it to a VM on an ESXi installing VMware Tools -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
scottm_occ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are still not following me. I'm talking about the entitlement of SLES for VMware that comes with the vSphere licensing.

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) for VMware: Enterprise Linux | United States

The link I provided previously migrates an install of SLES for VMware to SLES licensed by Novell. It does not remove drivers, SLES includes all of those in the kernel and has since SP1. I have hundreds of virtual machines I want to do the reverse to.

35917425.jpg

P.S. David - stop editing my posts because you are butt hurt about not understanding Linux. Instead of spending so much time trying to accumulate posts on a forum, fire up a VM and learn Linux.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I did some research - The SLES for VMware Licensing is nothing more than SLES that is licensed by VMware - I could not find that there is anything special that is done the SLES for VMware other than if is distributed by VMware - in fact you still need to install VMware Tools into a VM running SLES for VMware - http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-SLES-GettingStartedGuide-EN.pdf -

I still stand by my answer - VMware Converter is what you need -

0 Kudos
scottm_occ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your answer is wrong. Thanks for the attempt. Just quit now please.

Anyone else out there make the migration between them?

Obviously the majors are the branding, product files, subscription channels, some vmware specific packages, branding, the grub menu, and then the license and registration ...

0 Kudos
scottm_occ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We scripted this, so if anyone is looking for it message me.

0 Kudos
CLParker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are in this exact situation. Can you post the script or PM it to me?

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is that you rparker?? Same snarky attitude.

0 Kudos
scottm_occ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not sure who you are responding to, but thanks for the constructive post.

0 Kudos