VMware Cloud Community
kenwardc
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating from ESX to ESXi

Hi Folks

I've begun taking my servers back from my hosting provider and putting them onto my own host running ESXi 4. All working great so far except I've hit a stumbling block. I have a server that I cannot convert using Standalone Converter because the converter doesn't like the Blue Quartz system. The folks at the data centre have given me the flat file and its companion files and simply said to copy it to the host. Now.... here's the problem. I have the 20 gig files and its few small companion files but I cannot see how to get it from my Windows physical server it's on, onto the VM Host datastore.

What am I missing? I feel quite dumb at this point! Smiley Happy

Any help gratefully accepted.

Chris

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

You can copy to the ESX datastore with SCP. Try FastSCP. After the files are copied, browse the datastore through the vSphere Client, then right-click on the VMX file and select Add to Inventory.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Just download something like FastScp or WinSCP - It will give you a an explorer style view to do this.

The alternative is to just use the Datastore browser builtinto ESX (Just browse to your Datastore and click 'Browse Datastore')

there is a grey icon with an up arrow that will let you upload.

Once the VM is on the DS, ruight click the vmx and chose import

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos