VMware Cloud Community
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrating a host from one VC to another while using distirubted switches

If I have a host which is on a vSphere distributed Switch (no 1000v or anything), what is the impact if I remove the host from one vCenter and then import it into another vCenter.

I am thinking I will be required to remove access to the distributed switch before migrating, possibly forcing me to create standard switches, migrate the host, then recreate a new vDS once I moved over. 

Is this correct, or would the host somehow import the vDS into the new VC? I think this is unlikely.

Theoretically I would be moving from one vCenter 5.1 server to a new vCenter 5.5 server.

Thanks

Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company he works for.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well,.. let me see, if I can address your queries one by one.

vSphere distributed Switch is a VC feature. So once you change a VC, the related DVS will be lost or the reference of the DVS object will be lost in the VC.

Once you add the Hosts to a new VC, the hosts will still be looking for the DVS object, however, the DVS in your new VC will be having a new reference. So yes, you need to add the hosts back to the newly created DVS which will result in downtime.

Is this correct, or would the host somehow import the vDS into the new VC? I think this is unlikely.

I have not seen or used an application which would help us transition to the newly created DVS. It might be a new idea which you can work on Smiley Happy

Theoretically I would be moving from one vCenter 5.1 server to a new vCenter 5.5 server.

I would suggest to recreate the DVSwitch config to 5.5 and add the hosts, since there are a lot of new features in 5.5 DVS vSphere 5.5.

Hope it helps,

zXi

0 Kudos