VMware Cloud Community
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating a 2003 Server - Problems

In working through the migration again I see that the first time I didn't choose any services to stop. I bet that was the problem, wasn't it?

If I stop services via the Standalone Converter do they start again after the conversion is done?

Thanks.

I'm running ESXI 5.1 and recently used the Standalone Converter to copy a Windows Server 2003 R2 server to this new ESXI 5.1 Server.

The 2003 server is running RSA software on it - that's the stuff that allows you to log in with a 6 digit key that generates on a little fob you carry around.

When I first booted up the server it acted funky - hard to operate - no network connectivity - sluggish performance. After I installed VMWare Tools on it it straightened out.

However, the RSA software wasn't functioning. I had one message about a missing file.

When I use VMWare Standalone Converter I'm copying the contents of a live running file server. What happens with files that are locked open? Do they not copy over?

Is there a better way to copy a live op system from a server to a virtual?

Thanks much for any insights.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
1 Reply
poneill
Contributor
Contributor

you can choose whether you want to stop the services on the source or the destination. you might just need to scroll to the right on that section.

0 Kudos