VMware Cloud Community
Christina_2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating Windows Server 3003 onto ESXi 7.0

Current hardware has come to EOL. Would like to migrate onto new hardware. But the OS is Windows Server 2003 and there's no plan to upgrade the OS for now. Am I able to migrate to 7.0 version on new hardware?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It will work.

Please to not automatically upgrade the VMware tools. You need no find out the last version which supports W2K3 and download and upgrade these manually.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VM should work. However, if you run into any issues with VM then there will be no support. 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey @Christina_2 ,

I don't understand a question. 

vSphere 7.x is appliance only, no Windows version.

If you asking if you can have Windows 2003 VM on vSphere 7 then the answer is yes. 

Can you explain what are you trying to achieve? 

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
Christina_2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @ptarnawski,

I want to migrate the Windows 2003 VM on vSphere 7, but from this link - https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=16&prod...

It says the support is deprecated.  So, I was kind of worry it can't work on vSphere 7 after the migration.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It will work.

Please to not automatically upgrade the VMware tools. You need no find out the last version which supports W2K3 and download and upgrade these manually.

Regards,
Joerg

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

"Deprecated" means that it may not be supported in future versions.

André

ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VM should work. However, if you run into any issues with VM then there will be no support.