VMware Cloud Community
r_engel
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating VM's with RDM's between Clariion CX340 and NS960 SAN's

Guys,

We have a requirement to migrate a number of VM's (some SQL clusters, some file share servers, mixed bag of Windows 2003/2008 on the VM's) from a CX340 Clariion to a NS960 Clariion.

All these VM's are configured with physical RDM's (ie - as the SQL clusters have shared disks).

I'm looking at the best possible way to migrate this and at a high level, this is the procedure I am thinking of using..

1. Shutdown the VM's (quiesce the data) with the RDM's.

2. Remove the RDM point files (links) from the VM's using vCenter (which would be pointing to the CX340 original source SAN)

3. vMotion the VM's across (only including the boot virtual disk) across to the NS960 SAN. (with a datastore already preconfigured and ready to go).

4. Use EMC SAN Copy as the utility to point the source RDM's (LUN's) from the CX340 and copy it [block level] to the destination RDM's (LUN's') to the NS960

5. Add the RDM's back into the VM configuration file which are now pointing to the NS960 target frame.

6. Boot the VM and cross our fingers that the VM's see the shared storage (RDM's) on the NS960 frame.

7. Delete the original LUN (RDM) on the CX340 as the data is now running and active on the NS960 frame.

Hopefully this is a simple as it gets when migrating RDM's between storage frames.

We have completed all the prequisites (zoning SP's, etc..creating the RDM LUN 'shells' on the NS960 which will become the new targets after the SAN Copy) on both frames, so now its just a matter of testing it out.

Would love to hear your experiences with this! (or at the least... share your experiences.. positive and/or negative..)

I'm also looking for any tips/tricks or best practice recommendations on doing this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
0 Replies