VMware Cloud Community
tjcooper
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate vm from host with dvswitch to a host with stanrd virtual switch

I need to migrate a VM from a host with a distributed switch to a host with a standard virtual switch. I get an error: Network card adapter 1 ahs DVPort backing, which is not supported. This could be because the host does not support VDS or because the host has not joined a VDS. I was hoping I could do a live migration.

Any ideas?

Thank you

6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure, but you should be able to select the target network/port group in vSphere 6.0. Can you confirm that you are using the vSphere Web Client to do the vMotion?

André

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vMotion of vm which has vNIC connection with dvSwitch to Standard switch port group is not going to work.

1) Attach the destination host also in dvSwitch and try to do vMotion migration. please don't forget to sort out uplink adapters accordingly.

or

2) if you have standard switch having uplink to same physical network in your source host where this VM residing at the moment, just simply move your VMs vNIC to that standard network based vm port group and do vMotion migration from there.

are you using vSphere 6?

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You should be able to do a cold migration, may be easier than having to reconfigure the Host with access to the DVS.

I know its not what you were hoping to do, but likely quicker in the log run unless you have multiple VM's to move ?

Rich

0 Kudos
tjcooper
Contributor
Contributor

What I did is this.

I freed up a NIC from the dvs. I then created a standard switch with that nic. I then edited the VM settings to use the standard nic. I then migrated the VM. Once all VM(s) where off, I went to the console and reset my management network. I reconfigured using a standard switch.

Yes, its a pain in the @Ss$!

0 Kudos
Dilraj_007
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate VM through Web console , it will works perfectly

SelimAtmaca
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dilraj,

I works on web client as you said.

0 Kudos