VMware Cloud Community
YoussefAlexande
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate virtual machine fails - "A general system error occurred"

I have a host in my cluster from which I'm unable to migrate any machines. Migration always fails at 13% with the error "A general system error occurred:". There is no message after the colon. In Tasks & Events, I see the following under Events:

• Alarm 'migration error': an SNMP trap was sent
  • Alarm 'migration error' on [VM NAME] triggered an action
  • Alarm 'migration error' changed from Gray to Gray
  • Cannot migrate to [NEW HOST], [STORAGE]

The bottom event in the list is the first one.

VCenter is version 5.5 and ESXi is 5.1 on both the source and destination hosts.

The lack of info in the error message leaves me not quite sure what to do next. This is a production cluster so I'd love any suggestions that don't involve bringing down the hosted VMs. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

have a look at this kb: VMware KB: VMware ESXi 5.x host becomes unresponsive when attempting a vMotion migration or a config...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/

View solution in original post

2 Replies
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

have a look at this kb: VMware KB: VMware ESXi 5.x host becomes unresponsive when attempting a vMotion migration or a config...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
YoussefAlexande
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! Removing the trp files allowed me to migrate and I'll be upgrading soon so the issue doesn't recur.