VMware Cloud Community
pascal_peters
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate file server from NetApp NAS to virtual Windows File Server

Hi community,

I want to migrate my file services data from a NetApp NAS to a virtualized Windows File Server.

Are there any Best Practise descriptions I should follow?

How about the virtual disks? I have to migrate 28 TByte Data.

Should I split the disks to 2 TByte disk? Can I use more than one Windows File Server as a failover cluster.

Best regards

Pascal

0 Kudos
2 Replies
deepaknegiee
Contributor
Contributor

Are you trying to achieve high availability by moving your data from NetApp to Windows file server. From your situation what I understand you are currently at more robust design. Windows file servers can become complex later on when comes to manageability and maintenance.

You can use Snapmirror to achieve DR or DFS-R to achieve both DR and high availability.

Even if you want to use Windows server as a file server in cluster you can do it. You can use RDM in your VM environment for Windows cluster however it will be dependent on your storage environment.

If you can explain your requirement in more detail, I should be able to provide more input.

Note: NFS storage don't support Microsoft cluster.

Regards,

DN

0 Kudos
pascal_peters
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

at the moment the main problem I have is the backup performance via NDMP.

We use EMC Networker and DataDomain for the backup topic and can't use Features like BOOST to significantly reduce the network traffic for the backup.

Yes I know alternatively I can buy another NetApp to replicate a snapshot for file server backup.

At the moment I am searching for best practise informations to be sure in choosing the right solution for our environment.

best regards

0 Kudos