VMware Cloud Community
TheMaelito
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate file cluster to AVS - options?

Hey,

I have a Windows file server cluster on prem supported by netapp san which I need to take up to Azure AVS. 

2 nodes and a witness node all W2K12 R2.

The data disks are mapped as RDM (compatability physical mode). I believe that the disks will be in a clustered disk mode once in AVS.

As I understand I cannot use HCX to hot migrate to Azure AVS because the RDM's are in physical mode so I need to down the servers for the migration duration which I can't afford (over 1TB of data and users will scream very loud). 

Also just read up that the RDM's must be in physical mode (vSphere MSCS Setup Checklist (vmware.com))... so that poops on my idea to make them virtual and then let HCX take them up to AVS...

What are my options?

Are there any other options to consider to move the service to AVS?

Thanks M 😁

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
cyberwookie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Create a new cluster on AVS

Robocopy all files to the new cluster (first try might take several days, depending on your internet-connection). Luckily Ingress traffic is still free 🙂

Then do a daily or hourly robocopy to copy the delta's

Then at a certain moment (like friday evening) flip the drivemapping or UNC's for the users (hopefully there are not many hard paths configured in your applications and homedrive settings)