VMware Cloud Community
Javik
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate existing ESXi from SD card to SSD boot?

I am planning to upgrade two Dell R730 servers running ESXi 6.7 on the mirrored 16 gb SD cards, to the current 7.x release using mirrored SATA SSDs.

These servers are managed by vCenter Essentials 6.7, and are migrating to vCenter Essentials 7.x.

Is there a way to migrate the current 6.7 hypervisor configuration from the SD cards onto these new blank SSDs?

Do I actually need to preserve anything from the SD cards? Or can I just do a clean install onto the SSDs, ignoring the content of the SD cards, and vCenter will still find and migrate the current VMs and datastore?

We are tiny and don't have a SAN. There is a datastore with existing VMs, on a RAID-6 array in each R730.

I don't use encryption on the datastore / VMs.

Due to the SD card wearout problem with 7.x, I am planning to use two 256 gb Samsung 860 Pro SATA SSDs in a mirror on the Dell RAID controller, for booting the 7.x hypervisor.

Dell R730 does not support the BOSS M.2 PCIe card; that is for R740 and newer.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Deso1ator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could first upgrade to 7.0 while still on the SD cards. Then follow the KB below to change to the SSDs. See the autoPartition=TRUE/FALSE section.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/77009

0 Kudos