VMware Cloud Community
snowdog_2112
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrate dvSwitch from vCetner 5.1 VM to vCenter 5.5 appliance fails

I'm having difficulty migrating VM's to the dvSwitch I exported from vCenter 5.1 into my new 5.5u2 appliance.

I exported the dvS from 5.1

Disconnected the hosts from 5.1

Connected hosts to 5.5

Imported dvS (with the checkbox to preserve port)

I see the dvS and dvPG's, but none of the VM's are properly assigned to the dvPG's

(The vm's all show "invalid backing" in their network adapters.

If I manage hosts in the dvS, it shows no hosts connected.

When I run the Add Hosts wizard, it shows the previous pNIC's as already checked.

Going through the rest of the wizard, I get disconnected from vSphere for a moment, then reconnected, and the changes are not saved.

I've tried to add a different pNIC via the Add Hosts wizard with the same results - the nic is not added, I get disco/reco'd in vSphere.

I've also tried the same from the Web Client - also disco/reco's in the wizard.

Any thoughts on how to "realign" the config?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander

What mode is your new VDS in the 5.5 enviroment.  Is this VDS setup in 5.5 mode or 5.1 mode?

You could try creating a new VDS in 5.1 mode, get everything migrated over, then upgrade it to 5.5 mode after

Just a thought, hope it helps

0 Kudos
snowdog_2112
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The non-functional dvS is actually a 5.0 dvSwitch.

I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to "manually" migrate all the vm networking.

I can certainly create a new dvSwitch and manually assign VM's (they are, thankfully, working even though the networking is "undefined" - I don't know if that would be the case if the hosts were rebooted now that they have been removed from the old vCenter and connected to the new one).

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Yeah I wouldn't rock any boats or reboot the hosts until you get the VM's moved over.  As it could cause your VM's to go offline or loose network connection since it seems it is in limbo at the moment.

Hmmm that is odd.

If you where to reboot a host I would do it on a host that isn't running any critical VM's as you don't know what the outcome will be

0 Kudos