VMware Cloud Community
jainmanoj
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate VM's to new location ( New Host & Storage(Datastore)

Dear All.

I need the steps which need to be follow for migrating VM's to new location on New Hardware ( New Host & Storage).

Old Setup :

1) Consist of 2 Host running Esxi 4.1 & running 10 VM inside that. Which include application like DC/ADC/Exchange/Oracle DB.

2) These 2 Host manage by single instance of vcenter 4.0 running on One physical server.

3) All these host having Single shared SAN storage

Planned New Setup ( New Location)

1) Two  blade server installed  Esxi 5.5 host & One physical server which will run vcenter5.5.

2) Netapp FC storage which will be shared with these New server ( Blade server & Physical server).

Now i Just need to have brief understanding on the steps need to be follow for migration.

What risk & precaution need to be care for migrating DC to new blade system.

Pls correct if the steps are ok & in line without any risk .

1) Connect the New Storage to Old Esxi Host & create a new Datastore. Use the storage vmotion option, so that all required VM will be move & run from New datastore.

2) Shutdown the Guest OS running on vm's ( which need to be migrate) & stop the VM's.

3) Remove the New storage from OLD existing Host & move the same to new location.

4) Attach the same new storage to New Exsi Host & attach the previously created data store to the new Host.

5) Power on the VM's and guest OS.

Will the same work ?

1) What networking configuration settings or other setting which  i need to ensure for minimal downtime.

Last but not least if storage vmotion not available then what is the other option to move vm's to new location.

Manu

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - One quick question is the new location a new physical site? If it is a new site what sort of networking will you have between the two sites?

If they are two sites I would look at using VMware Converter and copy the VMs to the new site-  this can be done while the VMs are running for most of them - the only ones I would do on off hours would be your Exchange and Oracle servers - shutting down those application to insure a reliable copy.

Once you have the VMs moved over you than power down the SAN and bring it to the new site and add it to the new environment -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jainmanoj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi..

Let me answer of  first Q.

1) As such there is no connectivity in between two sites, both sites are separated.

So if there is no connectivity in between sites ,what other option i have to move VMs.Keeping minimal downtime.

Thanks in advance.

Manu

0 Kudos