VMware Cloud Community
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrate SQL cluster

I need to migrate SQL cluster (2 VMs) that are located on one ESX hosts from one datacenter to another datacenter.

Any ideas on how to do this with minimum downtime?

can't use 3rd party apps like vReplicator because disks cannot be snapshot.

Considering cloning, replicating data with DFS or some other methods and then use SQL log shipping.

Also looking into doubletake...

Any other ideas?

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have the money to spend, then do platespin migrate with sync function. it could do a schedule replication at block level, then do a final few KB sync befoe cutting over. best is that it could change the destination IP and such task can be automated.

good luck!.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

may i know what is the bandwidth and latency that is between the two location? if it's having a near LAN like, you could try vmware converter from OS level which will use VSS for flusing the data in memory state to disk before replicating.

another way is to build a new OS, and then do a sql replication or backup/restore mdb file. doubletake is more of a HA tools and buying it just for a migration is a bit waste. I woudl rather buy platespin migrate for a more function P2V tool.

0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

link is 10 Mbps but we can only use 5 Mbps for migration.

Backup and restore DBs will take time and downtime will be longer then use log shipping method or MS journaling which can bring to 16 seconds recovery.

I agree that doubletake is more for HA but we can spend a bit of money for this important project.

Will research platespin migrate.

By using a converter i would need to have it installed directly on the VM server, correct? but it is a cluster, how will it handle it?

Would I need to stop SQL services because it is a very busy SQL server? in this case I am looking at long downtime

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have the money to spend, then do platespin migrate with sync function. it could do a schedule replication at block level, then do a final few KB sync befoe cutting over. best is that it could change the destination IP and such task can be automated.

good luck!.

0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem and Good Luck with your migration.

0 Kudos
rakeshmani78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please share the experience if you migrated the SQL Cluster.

We are also analyzing the possibilities to migrate SQL Cluster from Physical to Virtual environment using PlateSpin.

0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We were migrating virtual to virtual by creating a new cluster at the destination and configuring log shipping in SQL.

Downtime 20 minutes total.

I am migrating physical cluster to a physical cluster that is much bigger as far as the DB size. Plan to use the same approach.

The reason for doing log shipping is because any third party applications such as plate spin or doubletake will not transfer any custom scripts or maintenance jobs. so essentially it is same manual job for DBA.

0 Kudos