VMware Cloud Community
AlainM201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate - Change datastore

Hi,

I'm using ESX 4.0.0.50850 and i would like to migrate one vm to one datastore to another but this vm have config files and vmdk on one datastore and another vmdk on another datastore, like this:

datastore1/my_vm/my_vm.vmx

datastore1/my_vm/my_vm.vmdk

datastore2/my_vm/my_vm_1.vmdk

So now i want to move all to:

datastore3/my_vm/my_vm.vmx

datastore3/my_vm/my_vm.vmdk

datastore3/my_vm/my_vm_1.vmdk

Will the migrate fonction do this automaticaly ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I have VC and i will shutdown the vm to migrate but i want to be sure  that the migrate will take ALL vmdk disreguarding on which datastore it  lays ... is it correct ?

Yes its correct..You can use change datastore option and migrate the VMDK to the new location

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For this to work while the VM is powere on you will need to be licensed for vMotion to perform a storage vMotion -  if not then you will have to power down the VM and perform a cold migratioin -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
jonathanp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you have VC ... then you can click migrate... the "Change Datastore" and select the appropriate datastore.

Regards

AlainM201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have VC and i will shutdown the vm to migrate but i want to be sure that the migrate will take ALL vmdk disreguarding on which datastore it lays ... is it correct ?

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I have VC and i will shutdown the vm to migrate but i want to be sure  that the migrate will take ALL vmdk disreguarding on which datastore it  lays ... is it correct ?

Yes its correct..You can use change datastore option and migrate the VMDK to the new location

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos