VMware Cloud Community
F_X_E
Contributor
Contributor

Mgmt Port for All VM and ESXi

Hi All,

I am new in VM ESXi, need your expertise.

I have a limited port server and I will be installing ESXi 6.7 and I want to configure NIC4 as the dedicated mgmt port for my ESXi and all of my VM instances. Is it possible? Where can I set it?

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, you can. Configurations can be vary according to your environment. By default you have a virtual switch which contains a uplink, a vmkernel port for management and virtual machine port group which you can connect your virtual machines to it.

I suggest you to read about vSphere networking before any implementation.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-350344DE-483A-4...

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos
F_X_E
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @amohammadimir , I checked the link but I have follow up question, because my environment each VM instance should have data and mgmt link physically separated. My challenge now is that I have limited number of ports. I forgot to assign a mgmt port for the ESXi itself for me to be able to access it via web browser. Just to reconfirm again, it is possible all VM instance mgmt link and the mgmt of the ESXi can be all together in 1x physical port and then this physical port will be connected to the mgmt switch? Thanks and sorry I am just new in VM implementations.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @F_X_E ,

Yes, you can have the ESXi management and VMs using the same physical NIC. This type of setup is good for small environments and the NIC should also be able to handle the traffic received by the VMs, if the application on them requires a lot. 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos