VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

Message:The features supported by the processor(s) in this machine are different from the features supported by the processor(s) in the machine on which the snapshot was saved.

Hi all

there is problem on the VM is with snapshot.

what I have done is in esxi 4.1 update 1, originally having 2 esxi hosts, and I shut down all guest OS (some of them with snapshot), and added 1 extra host to the cluster. But at that time, I need to downgrade the Vmotion EVC mode a level because of the hardware are not exactly the same.

After added the host, there was not problems and warnings. but when I tried to revert a VM with snapshot, it failed...then that VM cannot be start anymore.

nothing I can do with that VM , I cannot edit any settings.

Any chance that I can keep the snapshot and make the VM available again? I cannot shut down the host again as it is in production environment.

your help is highly appreciate. thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you verify that the machine you're attempting to boot isn't on the new host you added with different hardware? Move it to one of the original hosts and try to start it up. Otherwise, you may have to put the new host in maintenance mode, disconnect it, change the EVC back to what it was set at, start the VM, add the new host in, change EVC, and then capture a new snapshot at the new EVC mode.

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

the machine is still on the same host as before, just the snapshot was made before changing the EVC mode., there is no problems on the machines without snapshot or created after changing the EVC mode.

if put the host in maintenance mode, then change back the EVC mode, can the vm can power on again and works with the old snapshot? since there are some important settings there, so i really want to retrieve it. thanks.

0 Kudos
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think it would power on if you revert to the original EVC mode that the snapshot was created in.  Once you have the EVC mode set back to what it was, power on the machine with the desired snapshot and settings, change EVC to what you want it to be now, then take another snapshot. That way, you'll have a snapshot exactly the same as the old but it will be compatible with your desired EVC mode.

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

any chance to edit the vmx file or so to make it works? since it is not easy for me to change again the host settings if it need to be done at maintenance mode, I dont have enough host to take care all VMs.

thanks.

0 Kudos