VMware Cloud Community
kankudai
Contributor
Contributor

Memory problem

We are starting an evaluation of vshield but we are in trouble because on our Bl460c blade equipped with 2gb ram (not too much but enough for a couple of thin VM) we saw just 450 MB available for VM.

Attached a couple of image coming from the vcenter we used for the test.

Why we don't have all the memory available ?

Any hints ?

thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

333 MB of RAM is used or allocated, I see 1 VM has reserved 256.

I see 892 out of 2GB used, and 1108 that's the free RAM. But some OS will share memory it's hard to tell the memory you will have free until you start to power on VM's.

0 Kudos
kankudai
Contributor
Contributor

Our problem is that we have only 450 MB in a system that have 2gb ofmemory.

Why I am not able to use all the memory I have ? I'm not able to start any other VM otherwise we get a memory exhaustion

Thank you

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

How big is your service console memory set to? And Probably with 2GB of RAM, 1GB is probably reserved for ESX itself to run... so that may be all you can get.

Also you are reserving memory, turn the reservations ALL off, and see how much memory you have now.. Reserving memory means OTHER VM's can share, and that memory is set aside for that VM only.

0 Kudos
kankudai
Contributor
Contributor

We use Esxi 4.0.

For this reason I suppose is not a problem related to the console memory.

What is strange in my opinion is that on this system I am able to run just one VM with a memory of 256 MB, but also on an identical system without any VM installed I saw just 450 Mb available for the VMs. I dont touch anything after the installation of Esx and Vcenter; all value are set to the default.

Where are used the other 1,5 gb?

Where I can check the stuff related to reservation ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
carlosVSZ
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Regarding the evaluation of the vShield Zones product, a 2GB ESX host will not be sufficient to run vShield Zones. The vShield appliances are shipped with the following memory settings:

vShield Manager:

Reserved: 2GB

Allocated: 2GB

vShield:

Reserved: 1GB

Allocated: 1GB

These virtual appliances have been optimized to run with these memory settings, lowering the allocated/reserved memory is not supported and will cause problems.

0 Kudos