VMware Cloud Community
MICDROP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Meaning of options to restart from the host's DCUI

Hi, all.

I have a question about some of the options to restart on the DCUI.

(I can't understand well even if I look at the VMware document.....)

"Restart Management Network"

-> Does this mean initializing the management kernel?

If more than one management kernel is present after restarting this option, does esxi clear and create all of those kernels?

(Does it cause the VM network to disconnect?)

Network Restore Options > "Restore Network Settings"

-> What does recovery mean? (where and what?)

Troubleshooting Mode Options > "Restart Management Agents"

-> Restarting ESXi agents, such as vpxa

(no affect to VM)

"Reset System Configuration"

-> Are all vSwitches cleared?

Best reagards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Restart Management Network - only restarts the Management Network with the current settings. This does not change any setting and does not affect VMs running on the host. If you change network settings like IP address you have to restart the Management Network.

Restore Network Settings - this will delete all network settings and configure the host with one standard vswitch. You will have to reenter all network settings. This will have an impact on running VMs as this will destroy the entire network config on the host. So existing vswitches are deleted.

Restart Management Agent - the impact is the same as restarting Management Network but other services on the host are restarted as well.

Reset System Configuration - the impact is the same as Restore Network Settings but every other setting is reset to default as well. So yes, switches are removed and one standard vswitch is created.

But please correct me if I'm wrong...

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Restart Management Network - only restarts the Management Network with the current settings. This does not change any setting and does not affect VMs running on the host. If you change network settings like IP address you have to restart the Management Network.

Restore Network Settings - this will delete all network settings and configure the host with one standard vswitch. You will have to reenter all network settings. This will have an impact on running VMs as this will destroy the entire network config on the host. So existing vswitches are deleted.

Restart Management Agent - the impact is the same as restarting Management Network but other services on the host are restarted as well.

Reset System Configuration - the impact is the same as Restore Network Settings but every other setting is reset to default as well. So yes, switches are removed and one standard vswitch is created.

But please correct me if I'm wrong...

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
MICDROP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply !

It is very helpful for me!

It's late, but Happy New Year  : )

0 Kudos