VMware Cloud Community
VMrob201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Maximum pNICs per vSwitch

We are putting together a BOM for a customer and they will have a total of 12 NICs, 4 for iSCSI, 2 for management, 1 for vMotion, and 5 for VM LAN traffic. I have not found anything that has mentioned a maximum of pNICs per vSwitch. I would assume that 5 or more would be supported, but I have assumed incorrectly before... Does anyone have information on this?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
VMrob201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I did look through that document, but the only thing I could deduce is that the maximum number of 1GB nics per host is 32, which if you take out 1 for management, and 1 for vMotion, then technically you could have 30 1GB NICs assigned to a single vSwitch, if you only had one vSwitch for VM networking. I was looking for clarification because I didn't see that explecitly outlined in this or any other VMware documentation.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't seen a maximum pNIC per vSwitch.  I would use the maximum pNICs per Host and you'll get your maximum per vSwitch.

VMrob201110141
Contributor
Contributor

That is what I was thinking, but I was hoping that if there was a limitation out there that someone ran into that they would speak up, but at this point it looks like a moderate number of people have viewed this and noone has mentioned any limitations. I am going to assume "no news, is good news."

Thanks. 

0 Kudos