VMware Cloud Community
silentbob30
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maximum File Size

Hello

I have just installed ESXI4 and created my first VM no problem. I have an issue when I have come to create a VM to use as a file storage system. I want to create a VM on one 500GB disk and for it to use all the space but I get an error.

'File is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore 'datastore2'. New virtual machine 1/new virtual machine 1.vmdk.

When I checked the storage section under the config tab it states the maximum file size on that datastore is 256GB. So does this mean I can only create 256GB machines and therefore I cant store a large number of files on them?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Tron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

The largest vmdk file in a datastore is determined by the block size selected when you formatted the datastore disk. Increasing this changes the maximum file size. If this is an issue you can create multiple vmdk files for your vm.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steve_Tron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

The largest vmdk file in a datastore is determined by the block size selected when you formatted the datastore disk. Increasing this changes the maximum file size. If this is an issue you can create multiple vmdk files for your vm.

Regards

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Maximum File Size is 2TB, but also it depends on VMFS block size. By default VMFS is created with 1MB blocs allowing you to create 256GB files. 2TB files are allowed with 8MB blocks.

So if you need that size, you have to destroy you datastore and create it again with bigger block size.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
Steve_Tron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Anton make a good point the largest file is 2Tb this due to the limitation of the virtualised SCSI controller within a vm.

Regards

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have just installed ESXI4 and created my first VM no problem. I have an issue when I have come to create a VM to use as a file storage system. I want to create a VM on one 500GB disk and for it to use all the space but I get an error.

...to add a little to what the others have said, for your case you'll need a minimum block size of 2MB, but I would go with 4MB, just to be safe

1MB=256GB

2MB=512GB

4MB=1024GB

8MB=2040GB

0 Kudos
silentbob30
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am new to this, how would I go about doing this?

0 Kudos
Steve_Tron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

When you create a new datastore you get to choose the block size. You cannot change the block size of an exisitng datastore with deleting and recreating it Im afraid

Regards

silentbob30
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all sorted now. Thanks to al who responded

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you're welcome!

you have one more "helpful" left, i'll take it if no one else wants it Smiley Happy

Steve_Tron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

your welcome any time

Regards

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Steve Tron wrote:

But using multiple vmdk files would mean every vmdk file is sized to 2GB and that means you'll have hundred of vmdk files!

I've also come across this problem so I had to delete the pre-created datastore and create a new one.

It's nice that ESXi installed without user intervention, but it would be nicer if it asks what "maximum file size" the user wants before creating the datastore when the "free space" is very large!

0 Kudos