VMware Cloud Community
YANIX
Contributor
Contributor

Max VM resolution (1280x800)

Hi,

I am using ESXi 5.5. The VM have VMware Tools installed with SVGA driver. I can't change the resolution higher than 1280X800. You know why? You know how to crank to 1920x1980 ?

Thank you,

4 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert

I think you should increase video-memory. IIRC you can change it somewhere in VM-settings...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
DanielOprea
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

please apply this KB to solve your problem.

PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT answer. Thanks!!
Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!
Blogs: https://danieloprea.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos
Sizif42
Contributor
Contributor

It is the way it has been written: Put Video memory on 10MB and it will works! It is also a memory calculator there, so you can do math. I check in ver ESXi 6.0.

0 Kudos
ARPcPro
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any way to increase it from the guest machine?  I do not have access to the VM-Settings.

Maybe forcing windows to run on 16 bit color or 256 colors. I remember my matrox mystique card with 4mb vram could do much higher resolutions than this, but would decrease the colour to 24 bit.

Edit: The adapter has 256Mb of video memory assigned. I've tried "VMwareResolutionSet.exe 0 1 , 0 0 1920 1080" and it does not have any effect. Still does not allow more than 1280x800 on WinServer2012.

0 Kudos