VMware Cloud Community
IntegraComp
Contributor
Contributor

Max Memory For My Guest OS

This might be a dumb question, But I am running vsphere 5.0, I have a guest OS Windows server 2008R2 64bit with 32gigs allocated to it.   I know Windows 64 bit can handle more but if I added more will vsphere be ok with it or will I just be wasting memory.   I read some where that 32 was max on Vsphere.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - If you are using the free version of ESXi Hypervisor than yes there is a cap to the amount of memory you can assign to you VMs which is 32 GB. If you are running a licensed ESXi host than the maximum amount of memory a VM can have is 1 TB.

The question on whether it is wasted to add more memory really depends on a number of factors - the one is the OS using the 32 GB already assigned to it - you can check this by looking at the memory metrics provided by the OS and vSphere of the memory that it is using. Also if you are not experiencing performance issues than you think twice before adding memory or CPU-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
IntegraComp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Weinstein5,   I believe I am on a licensed version Of exi 5.0   (VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus  Licensed for 2 Physical CPU's) I might just be looking at the wrong place but does cpu entitlement 32gb mean what its cap'ed @.  If I try to increases my memory, will it stop if I cant go over 32?

license.jpg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The vRAM entitlement has been introduced with vSphere 5.0, but has been removed again with vSphere 5.1. Unless I'm mistaken, it's also removed with the latest patches for vSphere 5.0!?

André

0 Kudos
IntegraComp
Contributor
Contributor

weinstein5 wrote:

The question on whether it is wasted to add more memory really depends on a number of factors - the one is the OS using the 32 GB already assigned to it - you can check this by looking at the memory metrics provided by the OS and vSphere of the memory that it is using. Also if you are not experiencing performance issues than you think twice before adding memory or CPU-

Weinstein,  I assume it wouldn't hurt since I have 128gigs of memory and only using a little over 1/2. But I read this right!  Like you said more Memory wont do much for me ?

resources.jpg

0 Kudos
IntegraComp
Contributor
Contributor

a.p. wrote:

The vRAM entitlement has been introduced with vSphere 5.0, but has been removed again with vSphere 5.1. Unless I'm mistaken, it's also removed with the latest patches for vSphere 5.0!?

André

Are you saying I am Cap'ed @ 32 and might need to either upgrade or patch?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No, I just tried to explain the vRAM entitlement. The entitlement is 32GB per licensed CPU, so it's 192GB for all powered on VMs together.

André

0 Kudos