VMware Cloud Community
trickybits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Management Traffic checkbox

I've tried to find the answer but failed, so I'll go ahead and ask Smiley Happy

On vmkernel portgroups, there is a checkbox for "Management Traffic". I have tried it both checked and unchecked, and it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. I have made sure that all vmkernel ports have the option unchecked, but I can still manage the host as usual, and iSCSI traffic flows as expected.

What is the use of this checkbox?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

On vmkernel portgroups, there is a checkbox for "Management Traffic". I have tried it both checked and unchecked, and it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. I have made sure that all vmkernel ports have the option unchecked, but I can still manage the host as usual, and iSCSI traffic flows as expected.

What is the use of this checkbox?

It is used to allow you to manage the host from the address of that VMkernel interface. Checking this box would allow you to use the IP address of the VMkernel interface to connect with the vSphere client, allow HA to use it as a heartbeat network, etc. Many of these activities are obviously dependent on other factors in your setup, but in essence checking that box allows you to use that particular VMkernel for management activities. If your default VMkernel management interface is redundant, then there is probably no real need to enable management networks on the other VMkernel networks.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
trickybits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. Though, I'm still puzzled why it allows me to manage the host using the vSphere client, with this option unchecked on all vmkernel interfaces. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

unchecked on all vmkernel interfaces. What am I missing?

All? Does this include the default "Management Network" on vmk0?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
trickybits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes this one in particular :smileygrin:

and management is still working. I just don't know what this option is for, except sending heartbeats (which I'm also not certain is affected by this option, seeing how management works anyway).

0 Kudos
TiBoReR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any answer on that ? Same situation here.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
trickybits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe the checkbox does exactly what vmroyale stated, but it seems it takes a reboot for the change to take effect.

I unchecked management traffic on all interfaces, and after I rebooted the host I could no longer manage it.

0 Kudos
redsi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you running ESX or ESXi?

If using ESX login through the console on the physical host itself.

then type

esxcfg-vmknic -l

If you only de-checked in Client and didin't remove then

You should see your "Management Network" (vmk0) listed with setting under "ENABLED" set to "false".

then...

esx-vmknic -e vmk0

Should re-enable it for you.

then typing...

esxcfg-vmknic -l

and you should see your "Management Network" (vmk0) listed with setting under "ENABLED" set to "true".

and you should be able to reconnect to the host with the Client.

-redsi

0 Kudos