VMware Cloud Community
danm71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Management Network

I understand it is best practice to have Management network on its own subnet/VLAN.

In a small environment - 3 hosts (8-10 VMS), do you think it would impact performance much to ahve it on same subnet as VM network and regular PC network traffic.  This is a small environment with 7-8 servers and about 40 PC's.

I isolated vMotion and iSCSI traffic each on their own VLANS.  But it would make things much easier to leave Management on the same subnet as VM/PC traffic.

Any guidance or recommendations are very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I usually configure the Management Network in a server VLAN to ensure a user (client) cannot accidentally (or on purpose) use the same IP address and cause issues with magament and/or HA.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

its not full about the performance, its a secutiry perspective also.

it is good and recommended to at least use a vlan for the managment traffic.if you share with the vm traffic also no issue...for small env it is ok

but in best practice is , use a dedicated nics vlan for iscsi vmotion management.

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I usually configure the Management Network in a server VLAN to ensure a user (client) cannot accidentally (or on purpose) use the same IP address and cause issues with magament and/or HA.

André

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

one of the worker in my company while working on his VM, did a ping of death and it caused the ESX to timeout the heartbeat resulting in HA and vmotioning the VMS and being powered off..

so the management network is better of in a separate VLAN.

danm71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all of the input.  I will put in seperate VLAN.

0 Kudos