VMware Cloud Community
fartman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Manage esx in different subnet using Vcentre

Hi is it possible to manage esx from different subnet to be managed by vcentre 4.1U1 of a different subnet using ESX 41 U1

Eg my ESX ip is 192.168.0.x can i use vcentre having ipsegment 172.16.0.x to managed it?as i have esx from 192.168.0.x & 172.16.0.x which i would like to be managed by a single Vcentre instance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
harrygunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes no problem to do, as long as you have the correct IP settings and if there are any firewalls the correct ports open to communicate.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
harrygunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes no problem to do, as long as you have the correct IP settings and if there are any firewalls the correct ports open to communicate.

Mark

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes it is possible , having vcenter in one subnet and esx hosts in another. Just make sure that you do the NATTING of IP address properly with the UDP traffic on port 902 to the vCenter Server.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
fartman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi you mean i need to NAT the esx ipaddress to the same as the vcentre's subnet? as i have about 500 esx to manage using this vcentre natting the ipaddress is not feasible any other way to overcome this?

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We have our vCenter on a VLAN dedicated for MS Wintendo servers and our hosts on another VLAN dedicated for ESX management..  So yes no problem.

No NAT or L3 filtering is configured between the vCenter server and hosts..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
cho9045
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

KB Article: 1010652 (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010652)

I think the above KB article could be help of you.

0 Kudos
fartman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi  from the kb it seems as long as the subnet is routable between vcentre & esx it should work

0 Kudos
cho9045
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think so. That's my understanding.

AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sure.  The traffic between vcenter and ESX is normal routed IP traffic.   Assuming your routing is sane between the two subnets, you should be fine.

0 Kudos
sakibpavel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is possible only when if you route the VLAN.
Sakibpavel
0 Kudos