VMware Cloud Community
ViiJay
Contributor
Contributor

Make physical disks available to guest (Debian) on ESXi 5

Hello community,

first of all I am not sure if this is the correct approach for my problem so let me quickly sum up what I want to do.

For my home use I want to setup a linux server (besides others) as guest which has to has access to several physical disks. Due to a small pocket I used a single Debian installation on one server which covered all my needs. Now I want to split this into different systems, virtualized. One of them is my storage where I put all my files. For now I was using a software raid 5 (yes I feel so poor even writing this) on a debian and was wondering if there is any possibility to achieve this within ESXi 5?

tl;dr:

Can I give a guest system physical access to several locally connected S-ATA hdd drives (connected via a Intel / LSI S-ATA controller) to make a software raid on the guest system?

Maybe a virtualization is the wrong way and I should just put every task back on one server again without virtualization.

Thanks in advance,

Yours ViiJay.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welceom to the Communtiy - yes you can througfh the use of a feature called Raw Device Mapping (RDM) - basically creating a proxy virtual disk that will redirct the reads/writes to the Raw Disk - the potential is working with local storage - the esxi host will need to see all the disks

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ViiJay
Contributor
Contributor

Hello weinstein5,

first of all thanks for you quick reply. This could do the trick and I will give it a try soon. I found a how-to to create an RDM from the shell. I should be able to do that.

One last question regarding my scenario. If I have let's say like 4 drives defined as a RDM and my Debian guest system will be able to access those drives and create a software-raid (RAID 5), what would happen if one drive would fail? I know this is far fetched but essentially this is what this whole thing is about. I don't want to loose my data if one drives decides to jump the cliff. And yes, of course I should do backups... Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Regards,

VJ

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Raid volume(logical volume) is configured as RDM on the virtual machine.. incase 1 drive fails still the data is available to the virtual machine..

Raid redudancy is applicable for the datastore space..

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The same thing as if it were a phsyical system. 

If you had configured RAID0, you are screwed.  RAID5, you'd be fine.  RAID 10, you'd be fine, etc.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
brmovem
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ViiJay!

Could you please post here a link to that manual about RDM?

It'd be useful for me too.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ViiJay
Contributor
Contributor

First thank you all for the input and knowledge you guys are sharing. This helps ... A. LOT.

@Virtualinfra and mcowger:

Thanks for the advice. I am going to build a RAID-5 so 1 hard drive failure should be fine. Unfortunately hard drive prices are through the roof why I am going to wait a little longer to stock up my disk space.

@brmovem

Actually I couldn't find that one webpage I was looking for and was mad at me for not bookmarking it. But ... I probably found something even easier. I got the problem that the RDM option when adding a hard disk to a VM was greyed out. So I found this VMWare KB article which gave me the solution. Just take your vSphere Client and go to Configuration -> Advanced Settings -> Rdm Filter and uncheck the "RdmFilter.HbaIsShared" checkbox. After deactivating that checkbox the option at least is available. I haven't tried though if it is working but this way is much easier than hacking it into a console.

Hope this could be of help.

Regards,

VJ

0 Kudos