VMware Cloud Community
cmcg1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mail missing from one account coincides with VM move of Exchange server

Coinciding with an Exchange VM move from one host to another, email previous to a certain date went missing for one account (out of 40). It was restored from tape, but we're looking for a reason why it happened. This employee had just left, two users had full access to the mailbox and were actively using it. We found nothing conclusive on the Exchange/ Outlook end. Is there a risk of data loss when moving a VM and where would I look (log file) for an explanation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To be honest I do not think the issue is with the migration - to me it smells like one of the users accessing the mail either manually moved mail out of the mailbox or intiated auto archive - IMO if something were to occurduring the migration the whole mailbox would be corrupt not from a specific date and not just a single mailbox -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To be honest I do not think the issue is with the migration - to me it smells like one of the users accessing the mail either manually moved mail out of the mailbox or intiated auto archive - IMO if something were to occurduring the migration the whole mailbox would be corrupt not from a specific date and not just a single mailbox -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
DavidKlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Agreed. A vMotion would not have directly affected the Exchange storage of just that missing mail. Do the Exchange logs note any usual entries from that time window?

David Klee | Founder and Chief Architect | Heraflux Technologies | dklee@heraflux.com
cmcg1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks...I told them that this was more than likely user created, but asked that I get validation.

0 Kudos
cmcg1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Do the Exchange logs note any usual entries from that time window?"

Unfortunately not.

0 Kudos