VMware Cloud Community
mouradb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mail gateway vMotion

hello all

I'm in a bit of a limbo here,

I'm planing to install two email gateways on ESXi and protect these with vMotion or svMotion, now these two boxes (one inbound and one Outbound) are configured wil be configured with two IPs, one Public IP and one Private IP.

On our VMware servers we have a spare Physical network port that I will use for this public network but my question is how would I protect this one in case I move it to a different host or when the vMotion kicks in?

note that all other VMware hosts have spare Physical network ports.

Thanks again,

Anyone?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DEVAXTATOR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i use VMware-vShield-Manager-5.0.2-791471 problem solved...

0 Kudos
mouradb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm Thanks for the effort but that didnt answer my question.

Thanks anyway.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You better make a secondary mail server then shift one by one.

0 Kudos
steveb05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think this is pretty simple. You can either create separate vSwitches deidated to "internal" and "external" each with one port group, or you can create multiple port groups within one vSwitch. Create the same port groups on all hosts that can run your guests. Then, assign the port groups to separate vNICs in your guest configurations. The port group labels will tell the hosts which network each vNIC is on when/if the guest moves. You can also do this more simply if you have virtual distributed switches.

Please let me know if i've completely misunderstood your question.

- Steve Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful. Steve Brill Virtualization Junkie VMware, SAN/NAS, Networking and Server Infrastructure Engineer
0 Kudos