VMware Cloud Community
eeddieec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mac OSX Lion in ESX 5.1 won't boot

Hello,

I have a working virtual machine in "VMWare Workstation 8.x" with Mac OSX Lion (I patched the Workstation to do it).

I converted this VM with VMWare Converter Standalone 5.1.x into vSphere ESX 5.1 and, after the succesfull conversion, I properly setup the OS type as Mac OS Lion.

In ESX the VM starts but remains stuck with the Apple logo and the rotating progress wheel. So my questions are:

• Do you have any advice about how to solve this problem?
  • How can I enter in "verbose mode" in vSphere? I tried delaying boot and be ready to press both "CTRL + v" or "WIN + v" or "ALT + v" but nothing worked.

Thank you!

Eddie C.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The problem here is that you are breaking the Apple EULA, no one here will be able to help you since this is breaking this communities rules.

To virtualize OSX you need to run on Apple hardware.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you running on Apple Hardware?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Before you begin, verify that the following tasks are complete:

• Download Install Mac OS X Lion.app from the App Store.
  • Obtain the necessary product keys for installation in a virtual machine.
  • Your physical system must be an Apple-labeled computer to install or run OS X 10.8 in a virtual machine.
  • Virtual machine. 2GB or more of RAM.

~dGeorgey

0 Kudos
eeddieec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Linjo,

no, I'm not running on Apple Hardware. The Host machine is a ESX server (Lab server).

The working VM was running on top of VMware Workstation on Windows 7 / 8 PRO

Thank you!

Eddie C.

0 Kudos
eeddieec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dGeorgey

Thank for your reply, so the host hardware must be Apple? :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The problem here is that you are breaking the Apple EULA, no one here will be able to help you since this is breaking this communities rules.

To virtualize OSX you need to run on Apple hardware.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeas, it needs to be.
Whatever Linjo has mentioned here is the exact problem. You are breaking the Apple EULA. Smiley Sad..

The recommendations on using OSX with ESXi is mentioned here.... VMware Documentation for OS X 10.8

~dGeorgey

eeddieec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh, sorry for ignorance. I saw the Mac OS in the guest list of ESX 5.1 and I supposed a kind of agreement between Apple and VMWare.

Technically we bought an original Mac OS software license and the VM purpose is just for testing (in order to not kill a real production Mac).

I simply was ignoring that ESX was compatibile also with Apple Hardware.

Thank you for your replies.

0 Kudos