VMware Cloud Community
VMLost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MTU settings in vSphere 4.1, ESXi

Just want to know if anyone can confirm the following.

trying  to setup multipathing with the DELL EQ mutipathing plugin. After setting  the MTU to 9000, after the script runs, it errors out and no vmnics are  added. Specific error is as follows :

" Operation failed,  diagnostics report: Unable to add uplink! The MTU setting used by this  virtual switch is not supported by the NIC being added."

Now,  just to verify : DOES MTU/jumbo frames need to infact be set to 900 on  the ISCSI switch first, in order for me to enable it on the vswitch?  Currently my iSCSI switch is set to 1500 only.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It took awhile and 4 different escalations to get it to this point.  The engineer that has verified the problem has also sent something out to see if it's a known issue and if there will be a fix.   If you need a HP ticket number to reference you can use 4634793450.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes,  you need to configure JF on the vSwitch, set the mtu to 9000, first before you enable JF on vmknic.

Let me know if you want the commands.

-Surya

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

You need set mtu to works better, too is a best practices when you use iSCSI

Access your host via ssh  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100367...

esxcfg-vswitch -l … that will list the current MTU

esxcfg-vswitch -m 9000 vSwitch0 set the MTU to 9000 (Jumbo Frames)

good luck

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
VMLost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I set the vswitch to 9000 without a problem. I just can add the vmnics to the swtitch it errors with the below error i gave.

0 Kudos
VMLost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes i did that but does the actual iscsi switch need to be set at 9000 FIRST in order for the vmnics to be able to attach?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you ever get this resolved?   I'm seeing the same issue with a NC375T quad port card. 

0 Kudos
VMLost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I spoke to both VM and HP. HP said the driver was supported, however VM has indicated that it is a recent issue and infact those cards are NOT supported. Qlogic and HP appear to be trying to resolve the issue with a new driver. However no solution at the moment.

thanks to everyone for there input.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just curious but what kind of NICS are you using?

0 Kudos
VMLost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have 2 of the 4 port NETXEN HP NC375T adapters and the broadcom onboard. Its relatively new server, we are trying to get new adapters in place..

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not sure if you are still having issues but with the help of HP I got this resolved.   The NIC needs to be on firmware 4.0.544 and driver version of 4.0.585 and it will work with jumbo frames. 

0 Kudos
VMLost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats awesome to hear.

DID HP say that they have fixed it? Where they aware of it? or did you just call and see if they could help troubleshoot?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It took awhile and 4 different escalations to get it to this point.  The engineer that has verified the problem has also sent something out to see if it's a known issue and if there will be a fix.   If you need a HP ticket number to reference you can use 4634793450.

0 Kudos
minifo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did also encounter this exact problem today on 3 esxi 4.1 DL380 G7 hosts with HP NC375T Quad adapters. Do you know if there is any tool to downgrade the firmware version of the NC375T beside the windows tools?

I did update the nx_nic driver to 4.0.585 but I see the current firmware version is nx_nic device firmware 4.0.555. Setting mtu to 9000 is a no go with this combination of firmware/driver.

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hey, I also have problems but with the on-board NIC.

first question: according to this I don't find a 4.0.585 driver and the latest is 4.0.598 so the latest isn't good? Where did you get 4.0.585?

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=14587&deviceCat...

On a DL380G7 we have some strange issues with VM's loosing connections. The last thing I noticed was that downloading the vSphere client from the ESX 4.1u1 webinterface is a whole lot slower than on other ESX'es.

0 Kudos
VMLost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Minifo,

sorry I don't know of an alternative to updating drivers other than what you described.

J-D:

if you scroll down the same page that you were on, you'll find that driver in question...

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/dt_esxix_qlogic_40585/ZHcqYnR0JSpiZCpwcA==

I just know that, in troubleshooting i set my driver/firmware to both those levels mentioned above and wasn't able to get it up and running. Im still holding onto the fact that HP should rectify this issue. We shouldn't have to go and tweak firmware levels and drivers to different levels just to get it going.

Question:

anyone know the difference to inbox drivers versus async?

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

inbox is the driver supported by VMware and which comes from installation media

async: delivered by 3rd party

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

tnx for the link but as you said the latest driver and latest firmware should be okay.

I find it weird that the "working 585" driver isn't listed on the HCL link that I provided...

Guess I'll be creating a call at HP support

do you have an existing ticket?

0 Kudos
VMLost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I never called HP, I only confirmed with Vmware that it was a known issue and being worked on by HP

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just noticed my nics are on firmware 4.0.544 and not on the latest 4.0.555

I'll upgrade those first to see if they work with the latest driver 4.0.598

the issues I have are not really iSCSI related or MTU related. it seems random drops and poor vmotion's.

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I did an upgrade to an even later firmware and at the moment I don't have any network issues.

The HP advisory here is quite clear that you need to have the very latest firmware:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02964542&jumpid=em_alerts_us...

I hope that links helps someone too.

0 Kudos