VMware Cloud Community
ITSupportLondon
Contributor
Contributor

MSI DKA790GX and ESXi4 (AMD 790GX + SB750)

Well - I read somewhere I think - that the chipset on this board was supported with ESXi so I went ahead and purchased a DKA790GX and AMD Phenom 2 x4 = 8 GB RAM HOWEVER, on Installing esxi4, I started to run into problems.

The install stopped and hung on USB.

I disabled the onboard USB in bios and then we got a little further. It stopped on the SATA controller.

Disable SATA in bios and installed a promise TX4, again it went a little further and stopped on PATA i think and then again on the graphics.

I can't disable everything on the board and buy more parts - this beast has set me back over £1000 already.

So - I need to get this board to work with ESXi4 somehow. Is there a workaround.

Has anyone else had any dealings with this board.

It is apparantly one of the best boards on the market at the moment.

6474_6474.gif

IT Support London

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi is a server OS and it doesn't have great support for desktop components. The chipset may have support but it is the built in components become problems since they have limited or no support. You will need to do a custom install to get it working. I would visit http://vm-help.com. That site is dedicated to unsupported hardware.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
ITSupportLondon
Contributor
Contributor

Yes This is a server. I'm going to post my question over there too. No idea why it doesnt work when its advertised this chipset works...

IT Support

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

As I said the Chipset may be supported but it will probably have problems with the built in components. I would believe the RAID controller is probably FAKERAID (uses OS to provide raid functionality). Not supported in ESXi.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos